Travel Policy and Forms

Travel Authorization

All business travel and funding must be authorized and documented prior to the start of the trip by filling out an electronic travel authorization form and send to Oscar Parra to route for signature. Please make sure to fill out all sections. 

Domestic Travel - 10 Days in advance of departure date.
International Travel - 30 Days in advance of departure date.

Prior authorization is required whether or not the traveler will be reimbursed for any expenses from University of Arizona accounts.

Travelers must also register international travel through the UA International Travel Registry
Step-by-step instructions on registering international travel. 

Travel Authorization Form
Travel Authorization Policy

Before Trip: Tips

After Trip: Tips

Pre-paying Expenses

Certain travel expenses may be prepaid using a UA purchasing method. These include conference registration fees, airfare, and in rare instances, hotel expenses. PCard-holders may charge conference registration fees to the PCard for travelers in their laboratories but, this should only be done after verifying that the travel authorization has been completed for each traveler and the expense approved by the account PI. Most PCard holders are not authorized to purchase airfare or other travel-related items. Please see Tracey when you are ready to purchase your airline tickets.

Travel Advances

With sufficient notice, a travel advance may be issued to University employees for expenses that are not pre-paid, but only if the amount required exceeds $250. A request for a travel advance can only be made at the time the departmental Travel Authorization Worksheet is submitted. Travel advances will be direct deposited to the same bank account as the traveler's paycheck approximately 7 days before the trip.

Travel Expense Report/Reimbursements

If assistance is required to submit a Disbursement Voucher (DV) through UA Financials for your Travel expenses, please contact the center admin. In order for to assist and successfully submit a DV, the following documents will need to be completed and submitted as soon as possible after your return.

1) Travel Expense Report

Travel Expense Form
Preparing the Travel Expenses Form
Meal Reimbursement Policy
Lodging Policy
Transportation Policy
International Travel Policy and Information 

2) Receipts. Itemized receipts are required for the following expenses

Airfare - electronic itinerary showing the passenger's name, itinerary, & payment information or a paper Passenger Receipt showing the dollar amount
Lodging - (see State of Arizona Meals/Lodging Per Diem Allowances)
Rental Car/Train tickets/etc. - DECLINE the extra collision/damage insurance for rental cars; it will not be reimbursed, unless it is for international car rental. 
Parking/Garage fees
Registration fees

Receipts for taxi or subway expenses to and from the airport or within the destination city are not required. These expenses should be itemized on the traveler's expense report, listing the transaction date, the dollar amount, and the purpose or destination.


Please see the latest meal, lodging, and transportation policy for a full list of receipts and requirements, as well as updates. 


Non-Reimbursable Expenses

Personal travel - when extending a business trip to include personal time, only the lodging and meals for the business portion of the trip will be reimbursed. Personal time must be approved when the trip is authorized and appropriately recorded as personal time on the employee's time record.

Personal phone calls - including calls to your home residence/family cell phones

Movies & other hotel entertainment

Insurance - costs for flight insurance, medical insurance and collision damage insurance waivers are personal expenses and will not be reimbursed (exception: if a vehicle is rented overseas and the traveler is required to purchase the CDW).

For an update-to-date University Travel Policy, please go to: